Child suffering from nasal congestion, cold and cough. Suggest home remedies for immunity against cold

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor, A month back, my 1 year old son was diagnosed with Ear infection(both ears), Throat infection and Chest congestion. Here are the medications advised by our family paediatrician: Clamp-Kid Forte suspension amoxycillin and potassium clavulanate oral susspension IP(Twin pack) 3ml twice a day Relent syrup 3ml twice a day nebulization 3 times a day nebulizer medicine -levolin 0.63mg Crocin syrup - 3ml for fever SOS Otogesic ear drops - 2 drops SOS After a week’s course, the infection subsided in right ear, but persisted in the left ear. Our doctor then referred to paediatric ENT. The specialist suggested continuing the same medication for a week more. After almost 3 weeks, my son finally appeared normal with cold gone. We also got influenza shots done on 4th November 2013. This week he has again got cold and cough. He has severe nasal congestion and can’t sleep during nights. He occassionally also cries a lot during sleep. I fear he might has got ear infection back. We are continuing to give him Relent Syrup. Inspite of using such high dosage medicines, he hasn’t recovered completely. Can you please advise? Also suggest some home remedies / preventive care / diet that would help him build immunity against cold. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 hours later
Brief Answer: relent, nasal drops. supplement with vit.C, Zinc. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The present episode of cold and cough may be due to an upper respiratory infection mostly due to a virus. As there is no fever at present, the chances of ear infection is minimal. In severe nasa congestion there will be nose block due to the child is having disturbed sleep during night. You can continue Relent syrup as prescribed by the doctor and for nose congestion and block, I suggest you to put saline nasal drops one into each nostril 3 to 4 times in a day especially before feeding and before sleep. Take precautions in preventing the child exposure to cold air, crowded places, dust, smoke, plants, and to people with cold and cough. Maintain his hands hygiene by washing them frequently with liquid soap. Give him a good well balanced nutritious diet consisting of vegetables, fresh seasonal fruits which contains antioxidants. Supplements containing oral zinc and vitamin C can be given with Pediatrician prescription which will help the child to decrease the frequent episodes of cold. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow-up: Child suffering from nasal congestion, cold and cough. Suggest home remedies for immunity against cold 9 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Appreciate you inputs. The ENT specialist also sugested to get the following done. Xray of nasopharynx for adenoids and Blood Test Are they necessary? We're a little hesitant to get X-ray done? Will it harm the child?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Harm is negligible with single X-ray. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. The ENT Specialist suggested X ray of nasopharynx and blood tests to look for any enlargement of adenoids and to rule out any associated infection or allergy. These are necessary as the doctor advised after clinical examination of the child. There is minimal radiation exposure with X-ray of nasopharynx and the harm is negligible by getting X-ray whenever it is necessary. Going for X-ray frequently will increase the risk of radiation, but once in a while when it is necessary will not cause significant harm to the child. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.