Child suffering from cough. What medication should be done?

I took my 3 year old swimming yesterday, he loves to put his face in the water, now he has a really bad persistent cough
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 4 hours later
I think the persistent cough that your child has is due to something else. The reason is if your child loves to put his face in the water, he knows to hold the breath while in water, and even if he aspirates water in the lungs accidentally he will be choked for a short period but that cannot stay as bad and cause persistent cough.
It has been seen and recorded that much younger babies can hold their breaths while under water. I think the cough may be due to an infection. While it should settle down in a few days, you may want to take him to a pediatrician for an exam.
I wish your child to have a speedy recovery.