Child passing black stool with pressure. Was giving farex. Refusal to eat anything than farex. Reason?

Hi Doctor,

My son is 10th month old and from past 3 to 4 days he is passing black stool and also with lots of pressure.Could you please advise what could be reason. We started giving Farex from one week. Also now a days he dont eat much. He is refusal to eat anything other than farex. Please advise
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

A person passes black stool following intake of iron preparations or if there is intestinal bleeding. In case you are giving him some iron preparation to increase your son's haemoglobin he may pass black coloured stool. In case you are not giving any iron preparation you should get the following investigations:
1. Stool routine
2. Stool for occult blood.

A 10 month old child should be eating every thing which we adults take and not just Farex. I suggest that you gradually introduce home cooked food but do not force it on him. You shall find that he will gradually accept them. Phases will be there when he has liking for certain foods and will not look at some food. However, keep offering them to him.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Child passing black stool with pressure. Was giving farex. Refusal to eat anything than farex. Reason? 25 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for answering my query. This is to let you know that his routine diet includes following food:

Morning - He is on feeding, Followed by Farex after one hour break, Then He will have one bowl of Ragi Porridge

After noon he will have One bowl of Rice with smashed carrot & Curd. In between he will have Juices, tender coconut.

Evening around 5 he will have one bowl of smashed XXXXXXX / banana, Later in the evening he will be again on feeding and one hour before going to bed he will have either Farex or Rice..

I have provided the details of his diet since iam not sure on the intake of which iron preparation causing him to pass black stool. Also while passing the stool he gives lots of pressure.

As mentioned in your reply i would be going for the investigation too if it continues still...

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

Nothing in the diet is responsible for the black stools. I suggest that you get your son's stool examined to be on the safer side.

A recommendation on the diet is that you should increase green leafy vegetables and start giving more solids like chapatti, etc. Instead of giving smashed food let teach him to nibble at food and use his gums. You can give him large pieces of carrot to nibble as an example.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.