Child on breast fed, organic brown rice cereal. Noticed change in urine color. Should I be worried?

I just changed my heathly, robust 6-month-old baby's diaper this morning and the urine was an orange colour. He's breast fed but started organic brown rice cereal 3 days ago (morning feeding only, about 1-2 tbsp). He sleeps 11 hours at night and his diaper from last night was soaked (which is typical). I nursed him, fed him his cereal and then changed him about an hour later and that's when the orange urine was present. He's gone from 2-3 bm's to one a day once he started rice cereal and the last one was really liquidy. He has lots of energy, is 20lbs and happy. Is this urine something I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 22 minutes later
Relax,this is very good that your baby is active.
Orange color you mentioned can be due to blood in urine,i suggest you to stop organic brown rice cereal for few days,rather give him plenty of fluids, vegetable soup,coconut water and continue with breast feeding.
Observe urine color because sometimes there are small bleeds which get resolved by themselves in few days.
In case this persist then i advise you to get pediatric consultation to rule out the cause and treat accordingly.

Hope i answered your query,if you have any question i will be happy to help.
Wishing your baby good health.
God bless.
Follow-up: Child on breast fed, organic brown rice cereal. Noticed change in urine color. Should I be worried? 8 hours later
I'm sorry, not to sound rude, but are you actually recommending me giving my breastfed baby vegetable soup and coconut water?? He's never had anything other than breast milk and now a little rice cereal in his life. Why wouldn't I just go back to breast milk for a few days first to see what happens.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 3 hours later
Let me explain again.

I appreciate your concern, what I recommended is starting of complementary feeding. This is started at 6 months of age in which breast feeding is continued and in addition we start giving baby boiled pulses water, coconut water, vegetable soup in small amounts and after a month semi solid food is introduced in form of fruit puree, vegetable puree, mashed boiled potato, cereal pudding.
All these are in addition to breast milk.

You might also consider giving him only the breast milk for a few days and observe.
Hope this clarifies. Let me know if otherwise.

Wishing you and your family good health.