Child not urinating much, little blood in urine. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

Hi my baby girl is 6 months old and hasn't had much urine output she is fully breastfed and on solids and this morning had a small amount of blood in her urine... Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Urine output is an indicator of body hydration status.

So give plenty of oral fluids like juices and water to maintain hydration of the child.

Blood in urine is due to many reasons like infections, stones (which is uncommon), and some times foods like beetroot will cause red colored urine.

My advise is to give her urine for complete urine examination and microscopy to look for the presence of red blood cells which is a confirmatory investigation for the presence of blood in urine.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and for initial basic urine investigation to look for the presence of blood in the urine.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.