Ask a Dentist   »  

Child keeps getting cavities even after brushing twice. Looking for proper treatment

My 6years old daughter keeps getting cavities even after brushing twice (morning and night) daily. Should I use some particular tooth paste for her? She is very fond of Sweets and chocolates but I make sure she brush her teeth in the night but still he is getting cavities. I am worried now as she already got 3-4 new teeth. Please suggest.

Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

First of all I would like to tell you that sweets and chocolates are good source of growth for cavity causing microorganisms in the mouth.

So, my suggestion would be to make sure that your daughter should rinse her mouth after having meals, chocolates and sweets. This will exclude the source for the growth of microorganisms in the mouth. If she continues this habit, it will help her maintain good oral hygiene. She can use medicated toothpaste such as Sensodyne.

And for the teeth, in which she is already having cavities, it needs to be filled as soon as possible. Otherwise, these cavities will destroy the tooth structure and if still not treated, it can damage underlying permanent tooth structure.

Hope this answered your query. If you have further any doubt, feel free to ask.

Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta