Child is undisciplined, keeps hurting other children. Had lung infection and fever. Complains of too much hunger. Normal?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have a 4 1/2 year old son. He is very good in studies. Off late he has become very indiscipline. He keeps hurting other children in the school by hitting, spitting, kicking etc. I tried speaking to him many times. I even punished him. Still he is continuing the same thing, Recently he got lung infection and fever. After that now he keeps complaining off too much hunger. Even after feeding he still complains the same. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I can understand that your kid had lung infection and has been treated for it.
Post any illness, kids generally become more irritable and that is common as a post traumatic stress especially so of he was admitted in hospital and had gone through some painful procedures like intra venous injections, etc.

Do not worry, this is a temporary phenomenon, it should settle soon. Just talk to him in detail and tell him that bullying is a bad habit. He needs positive reinforcement like gift of his choice, etc., if he stays good at school. Do not opt for negative reinforcement like beating him. If none of these help do consult a child psychologist for counselling.

Similarly increased appetite is normal during post illness.

Hope I answered your your query, wishing your kid a good health.

Dr Arun
Follow-up: Child is undisciplined, keeps hurting other children. Had lung infection and fever. Complains of too much hunger. Normal? 13 minutes later
he had lung infection/fever recently. He was not admitted. but post this fever also he has behaved like this in the school several times. We have spoken n number of times with him. Looks like he does not understand as he is too small. Any other way we could correct him
Answered by Dr. Arun 4 minutes later

If you have talked to him multiple times, do have a detailed counselling session with your child psychologist or counsellor who may help you in this regard.

Apart from that just make sure you don't scold him and just encourage him and reward him if he keeps normal.

Do consider a short trip or so, if that could relax him and you as well.

Follow-up: Child is undisciplined, keeps hurting other children. Had lung infection and fever. Complains of too much hunger. Normal? 28 hours later
Sure i will do that doctor. yesterday i also i spoke to him again. Do suggest any therapy which can be done at home as my husband does not like to take him to a psychiatrist. Kindly advise.
I also want to bring to your notice that he gets frustrated when he does not get proper sleep / hungry. Since he leaves at 7 in the morning He eats in the school at 10 whatever i send him. He copies whatever others do. He never used to hurt anyone earlier. We changed his school also based on his liking. I tried punishing him, i have hit him still dont find any change. Is there any other therapy i can use at home as mentioned husband does not like taking him to a counsellor. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
1) Kids are usually frustrated if they dont sleep well. Donot allow him to watch Tv or play after 9 pm, try coaxing him to sleep. Parents should lead by example and try sleeping early as a family.
2) You need to talk to your kid, ask him why he is agitated, it usually happens if he is not able to cope up with his feelings. Ask him what else he can do , give him some options like writing down imposition or simple home jobs when he is not behaving properly.
3) He may have some true problems like ADHD/Oppositional Defiant Disorder which may need pyschiatrist consultation if nothing works out.
4) Dont hit him, that will make him worse

Dr Arun