Child is underweight. Suggest some food supplement to gain weight

Sep 2012

My son is 4.5 yrs old. He is thin ,weighs only 12.8kgs and is the shortest in his class. However he is physically very active ,runs around and jumps all day long and is intelligent. He is not fussy with food and eats well. My concern is that he is not gaining weight like normal 4 yr olds. Kindly suggest some food supplement or tonic or good that can help him gain weight. Also kindly let me know name of any deworming medicine which I can give him.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, form your description, it is clear that your son is intelligent, active but thin, short and have low body weight.

The stature and figure of a boy or girl depends on many factors, like stature and figure of parents, healthy diet, and lastly genetic rearrangement. So, the stature and figure is not entirely in your hand.

What you have to do is to give him a good protein supplement. It is very helpful to gain weight.

You can also give him natural proteins like whey protein. This is the richest source of protein. Milk proteins are also necessary.

Apart from that he does not need any tonic.

For deworming, he needs an albendazole group of drug. For exact dosing and frequency, you have to consult with his treating doctor. Because, you need a detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have anymore question.