Child is suffering from alopecia areata. Prescribed ranbaxy histac 150 and stemin forte. Safe medicine?

my daughter is 12 year old, she is suffering from ALOPECIA AREATA since 8 months. I have consulted a doctor for its the treatment , and he has prescribed me Ranbaxy HISTAC 150 and STAMIN FORTE. Are these medicines useful for the treatment. Are these medicines steroids. May I know the side effects of these medicines?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 29 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The oral treatment for Alopecia areata is not ideal choice, the recommended standard of care is the local injected steroids like triamcinolone in stansdard regimens. This method is effective and time tested and safe.
The Stemi Forte is a long acting steroid and it is not to be used in a young girl of her age at any cost.
Histac is ranitidine and is not harmful but not useful for Alopecia either.
You should get the child reviewed by a local dermatologist or a XXXXXXX physician of your locality and a regular follow up. Hair take months to regrow.
For your information I am enumerating the side effects of the two drugs but please note that not all effects occur in any one patient.
Ranitidine- Headache, dizziness. Rarely hepatitis, thrombocytopaenia, leucopaenia, hypersensitivity, confusion, gynaecomastia, impotence, somnolence, vertigo, hallucinations.
Potentially Fatal: Anaphylaxis, hypersensitivity reactions.

Special Precautions
Uncontrolled diabetes, peptic ulcer, osteoporosis, psychosis, psychoneurosis, pregnancy and lactation. Congestive heart failure, hypertension, epilepsy, CRF, elderly, regular monitoring of patients on long term therapy, withdraw gradually, glaucoma, hypothyroidism, cirrhosis, ocular herpes simplex, ulcerative colitis, infants and children.

Adverse Drug Reactions
Sodium and fluid retention, potassium and calcium depletion. Muscle wasting, weakness, osteoporosis. GI disturbances and bleeding. Increased appetite and delayed wound healing; hirsutism, bruising, striae, acne; raised intracranial pressure, headache, depression, psychosis, menstrual irregularities. Hyperglycaemia, DM. Suppression of pituitary-adrenocortical axis. Growth retardation in children (prolonged therapy). Increased susceptibility for infections. Topical use: Dermal atrophy, local irritation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis. Inhalation: Hoarseness, candidiasis of mouth and throat. Topical application to the eye: Corneal ulcers, raised IOP and reduced visual acuity. Intradermal injection: Local hypopigmentation of deeply pigmented skin. Intra-articular injection: Joint damage, fibrosis, esp in load bearing joints.
Potentially Fatal: Abrupt withdrawal leading to acute adrenal insufficiency manifesting as malaise, weakness, mental changes, muscle and joint pains, dystonia, hypoglycaemia, hypotension, dehydration and death. Rapid IV inj may cause CV collapse.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Child is suffering from alopecia areata. Prescribed ranbaxy histac 150 and stemin forte. Safe medicine? 9 hours later
Earlier a doctor had prescribed us a medicine named OMNACORTIN. we used this medicine for 20 days. however we cant determine any hair growth. Doctors are saying that there is no alternative except steroids like STEMIN FORTE, as t=ALOPECIA AREATA is spreading faster and large patches prevail. new small patches are also appearig..?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 26 hours later
Welcome back.
Omnacortil is the brand name of Prednisolone which is also a steroid just a cousin of Stemin.
I do not disagree from your doctor, but I strongly stand against giving oral steroids for Alopecia, because they are XXXXXXX drugs and are not effective when given orally for alopecia.
Local injection of the steroid Triamcinolone is time tested and most safe and effective method to treat this ailment and there are practically no harm by this method.
Hair growth would be visible in 2-3 weeks time not immediately.
You can also add a multivitamin supplement like Supradyn to hasten the response.
I hope you would be benefitted by my advise.