Child is not able to digest dairy and probiotics products. Developed yeast infection. What to do?

Baby too bad flora. Can't digest any dairy and can't digest probiotics too. Can't take soy , rice, almond , coconut or any non dairy milks too. She was sensitive when she was born but recovered later. But again after a course of antibiotics she lost her flora and develop yeast infection which is not going away from last 8 months . She can't even digest probiotics.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your question on XXXXXXX I am Dr. Taher, and I will try and guide you to the best of my abilities.

As a practising pediatrician, we see hundreds of patients with infective diarrhoeas that are treated either inadequately or aggressively enough to destroy the innate flora of the bowels of the child. A careful balance between the use of antibioitics and probiotics is essential to a) eradicate the infection and b) restore the normal flora of the intestine.

Most of the times, esp. in developed countries, the initial offending agent is a virus like the rotavirus. If it is treated with antibiotics etc, there can be more harm than good. On the other hand, if probiotics are used without proper indication, there can be harm as well.

Usually, probiotics are indicated as an accompaniment to other therapy such as antibiotics. There cannot be an "indigestion" of such products since there is nothing to digest other than the bacteria or fungi present in the product along with their food in the form of simple sugars. Hence, I think your contention that there is indigestion of probiotics is incorrect. For the yeast infection, she may need a course of an antifungal medicine like fluconazole. Speak to her pediatrician about this.

About the foods, it worries me only if the baby is not putting on weight. If possible, please share her growth data, and if at all, reports of any stool tests by scan and/or photography. In the meantime, you can continue giving whatever foods she CAN tolerate. Completely stopping milk and substituting it with digestible cereals like oats or wheat may be a good idea; or you can sustain her on steamed and mildly seasoned vegetables and fresh fruit.

Do revert to me with more information.

With best wishes for a speedy resolution of her problem,

Dr. Taher