Child is having squint eye. Diagnosed with myopic astigmatism. How to get rid of this?

Hi Doctor
My daughter is now 3.5years old. She started developing squint when she was around 1.7years old. I took her to an eye check up last year and the doctor said that at that stage they can't prescribe anything and that an eye check up after 6 months was recommended. I did an eye check up for her now and the doctor says that she has myopic astigmatism. None from my family or from husband's family has problems with eyes. If my child wears a glass can she get rid of the squint problem. Also if is there any possibility that she gets rid of the glasses at a later stage in her life ? Are there any recommendations on diet(only veg.) ?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

If her vision disturbance is responsible for her squint then there will be improvement with glasses. This squint requires followup and may require surgical intervention.

Normally the vision disturbance will persist and requires the glasses to be used continuously. If you do not want these glasses to be used then the vision should be corrected with contact lenses.

A balanced diet is what is required and nothing more. Give her plenty of fruits and vegetables. Vegetables like carrot, beet root and fruits like Papaya, Mango are XXXXXXX in Vitamin A and are required for good vision.

Hope this helps.