Child is having leg pain specially while sleeping. Any suggestion?

Feb 2013

Dear Doctor,

Good Afternoon,
I have question regarding my 3 year old child. He use to have leg pain, some times in day time but most of time in night while sleeping. and muscle streaching ...after massage he feel better. I consulted the doctor also they some child having growing pain.. please suggest
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Very good afternoon.

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I agree with your doctor.

There is one entity which is known as Restless Legs Syndrome.

In children it is perceived as uncomfortable creeping or crawling sensations and motor restlessness occurring primarily in the legs.

These sensations usually increase in the evening and during periods of rest or inactivity (at the time of sleep) and they are relived by movement.

In younger children, these sensations may be manifested as "growing pains".

Some times underlying iron deficiency will increase the pains, it should be treated with oral iron syrup.

Nothing to worry and these type of pains are common in children as they grow they will subside.

The following measures will help to get relief from the growing pains:

1.Massaging the area.

2.Stretching the legs.

3.Placing a warm pad on the area.

4.If the pain is significant you can give paracetamol or ibuprofen in prescribed

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.