Child is having itchy fingernails and cuticles. What could be causing this?

My little girl has been complaining intermittently for a months about itching finger nails/cuticles... I have used gel nail polish on her once or twice but this is now removed and she is still complaining. Visually the cuticles look fine except on her thumbs were the cuticle has lift slightly due to itching. There are no sights of infection?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 42 minutes later

It is difficult to precisely make a diagnosis without examination.

It seems to be paronychia which could be due to bacterial or fungal infection. Sometimes there is sub clinical infection in which no signs will be visible to you.

I suggest you to get a dermatologist consultation.
Staining from scrapings of cuticle will help in diagnosis.

In the meantime;
-soak her hands in warm water 3 times a day for 15 minutes duration.
-topical and/or antifungal or antibacterial will be needed depending upon diagnosis.
-discourage any chewing or picking of loose pieces of cuticle. Cut these off with nail clippers.

Hope I have answered your query; let me know if there is any other question.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless!!