Child is having foot and mouth disease. What treatment should be done?

Pediatrician
Question
My Child (Age-2yrs) is having foot & mouth disease. We have noticed the same today morning. Kindly suggest.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

There is no specific treatment for foot and mouth disease. You can give your son acetaminophen to reduce pain and/or fever and encourage him to have a lot of liquids. In case the oral lesions are very painful lidocaine gel can be applied.

To prevent its recurrence it is advised to avoid contact with infected livestock and the livestock be vaccinated against the disease.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Child is having foot and mouth disease. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
Kindly suggest some topical ointment for rashes on his Butt.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I suggest that you upload a photograph of the rash using the facility on this platform so that it can be reviewed and appropriate guidance given.

Usually there is no rash in foot and mouth disease in the buttocks. I hope you have shown him to a doctor. What are the other complaints?

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Rajiv