Child is having cold, getting metallic taste in mouth and pain on tongue. How to cure this?

My son is 4 and couple weeks ago he kept getting metal taste in his mouth. He is now sick with a cold. Says his tongue is painful to eat. There is coating on back of his tongue. He says the pain is on sides and underneath
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The metallic taste in mouth has many causes like deficiency of vitamins, minerals especially iron, long standing infections, anemia etc. Considering the age, I believe deficiency of the vitamins could be the cause of such metallic taste in your son.

The same vitamin deficiency causes poor defense system in the oral mucosa leading to bacterial infections. The coating on the tongue, pain at the tonsil site could be due to the bacterial infection.

He has to be put on antibiotics after confirming the fact by examination. Do consult an ENT specialist for the same.

Meanwhile, you can ask your boy to wash his mouth with an antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food. This will halt the infection process and prevent further complications.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.