Child is having chest pain and rapid heart rate. Echo normal. What could be causing this?

Feb 2013

I have a question about my 5 year old son. He routinely notices his own heartbeat and does have a very noticeable heartbeat as it can be felt while hugging him. I also notice that sometimes his left jugular vein will be slightly prominent and it will pulse. It is about a 3 inch section that does this. It can be seen lying, sitting or standing. He has seen a cardiologist in the past (4 years old) because of an episode of hypoglycemia where he complained of chest pains and had a rapid heart rate. An echo was done and the cardiologist found nothing wrong with his heart. Should the visible jugular neck pulse (intermittent) be a cause for concern?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Noticing one's own heart beat is know as 'Palpitations'.

Palpitations usually noticed in children who are thinly built. Is your child thin?

In anemic conditions and anxiety, some times the own heart beat is felt in children.

Slightly prominent left jugular vein in otherwise healthy asymptomatic child is not suggestive of any heart related problem. It may seen in thin people.

The visible pulse could be due to the carotid artery pulsations which lies beneath the vein.

As the cardiologist had examined your child and did a 2D Echo which was normal, this rules out any underlying structural heart problem.

Without any symptoms related to his heart like breathlessness, syncope, swelling of feet, breathlessness on exertion, just having visible jugular neck pulse is not a concerning problem.

But I advise you to look for anemia signs like pallor and go for a hemoglobin check after the examination and advise by his Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.