Child is having big rib on one side. Is this dangerous?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi. I have just discovered that my 3-year-old daughter has a very big rib on her left side of the breast, where the nibble is placed. Is that normal for a 3-year-old or can it be somethings dangerous?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

An isolated big rib without any symptoms is a normal finding, and there is no need to worry.

Please keep a watch for any increase in its size or similar findings on other ribs. If you notice that, then please get her examined by a doctor, otherwise it is fine.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Child is having big rib on one side. Is this dangerous? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. Well, at first I thought it was a lumb, because it is sticking most out on her left breast. Then I could feel it was hard as a bone. So I thought it could be something with her heart. I just want to make sure it is not XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Your description is suggestive of the bone growth, rib in this case, as it is hard.

Most problems with the heart would not lead to a bulge or swelling, which can be felt from the chest wall. So, you can be reassured that the bulge is not related to heart problem.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Child is having big rib on one side. Is this dangerous? 4 minutes later
But can it come suddenly? I don't believe she has always that. Because then we would have discovered it.

As you suspect, it does not come suddenly, however, it is often noted on one fine day. Initially, the swelling may been smaller, however, it may have slightly increased in size recently, making it more obvious.

As long as she has no pain, there is no cause of concern. If there is pain or increased warmth over the area, we may need to exclude an infection.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM