Child is having balance issue. Started falling and has muscle weakness. Found vitamin D deficiency

I have an 8 year old child who has had some balance issues since birth but not terribly bad until recently. She has started falling a lot, has muscle weakness, is unable to ride a bike or walk long distances, and has recently began to stutter. MRI, EEG and CT are all normal also has been checked for vitamin D deficiency and that was not it. Any ideas? All I can think is MS but I don't know
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 34 minutes later

Thanks for placing your query here.

I can appreciate your concerns about your daughter.

It seems she has some form of chronic ataxia. Ataxia refers to an unsteadiness of gait or lack of muscle coordination.

Possibilities are;
1)     Ataxic form of Cerebral palsy.
Caused by damage to a child's brain during early development — before, during or shortly after birth — that affects the child's ability to coordinate body movements. Has generally non progressive course.

2)     Congenital cerebellar ataxia.
Results from damage to the cerebellum that's present at birth. Has generally non progressive course.

3)     Hereditary ataxias.
These have genetic basis & are often progressive.

MS is most unlikely.

She needs to be seen by an experienced Pediatric neurologist who after detailed history taking and careful physical examination can narrow down the diagnostic possibilities.

Sometimes the diagnosis becomes clearer only with passage of time so she needs to be observed & checked regularly for development of any new issues/concerns.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her a good health.

Follow-up: Child is having balance issue. Started falling and has muscle weakness. Found vitamin D deficiency 17 hours later
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 4 hours later
Nice to hear back from you.
I can understand the difficuties in dealing with a long term illness & no clear diagnosis .
Unfortunately there are limitations on modern medicine and many a times to pin point one single cause or explaination is almost impossible.
Here comes the role of seeking help from experts & taking 2nd opinions.
Best wishes.