Child is having abdomen pain. Given Gaviscom. What to do further?

Apr 2014

My daughter she is 9 in a half she is been complaining a pain on the right side of her belly. I gave her gaviscom but she is still in pain. I dont know what to do.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ultrasonography can exclude many conditions. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Pain abdomen in children is generally not serious but it should be taken seriously if child is complaining of regular pain. If gavison is not working then it means she is not having gastritis and other causes should be ruled out. She need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include routine hemogram,Stool routine and microscopic examintion,Urine RE/ME, Ultrasound and straight X-ray of abdomen.Further investigations like CT Scan of abdomen can be done if needed. Her pain abdomen may be due to various reasons.It may be due to constipation,food allergy etc.Other causes like appendicitis,colitis,bowel obstruction,UTI should also be ruled out. Ultrasound of abdomen can exclude many conditions. She should be given plenty of fluids,avoid fatty foods etc. If condition doesn't improve then she should be examined by a surgeon. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX