Child is excessively sleepy. Can child be tested for being drugged with sleeping medicine?

Hi, I am a noncustodial parent. My son is two years old and after a long battle for joint custody I have recently been awarded Tues and Thursday and every other weekend access to my son. On my Tuesday and Thursday time my son is always sleepy and sleeps the majority of our visit. I try to wake him and he doesn't respond and acts as if he cant stay awake. I am suspicious that his mother is dosing him with medication. He is never sleepy at 5:30 when I have him for full days. I want to know how I can find out or prove if she is giving him medication before my pick ups. Is this something a doctor at a clinic could diagnose if I were to take him to one during one of my visits when he cant seem to stay awake. Urine collection will be a challenge since he is not awake and is not potty trained yet. If he is always asleep on my week day possessions and I only see him every other weekend otherwise, I am worried that this will be detrimental to us having quality time to bond. She has tried to alienate me from him already which is why I have had to spend almost a year going to court to get custody and rights to see him frequently.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

Based on the information you are wanting to know that why you son is feeling sleepy all the time, and if her mother was dosing him with some kind of medicine to make if sleepy so you and your son will not be able to bond.

Here is the fact, a kids at age below 5 yrs normally sleeps longer, on an average of about 14-15 hrs a day, which the sleep is the time the body grow. So if you are wondering about him sleeping alot then that's normal.

Now the question about feeling sleepy all the time is a matter of concern, if you are suspicious about any drug given, then their are two ways to detect it, 1) blood test and 2) urine test, since your son is not potty trained it will be difficult to get urine sample so you might have him tested for blood drug test. In any of that case you need to contact near by physician.

Hope this information helped. Please feel free to contact me in case of any further concerns.