Child is a active gymnast, complains of pain in the center of chest that increase while inhaling. Underlying congenital defect?

9 year old active daughter. Has been active in Gymnastics and Softball since age 6. Most recently during pitching lessons& gym at school, she has been complained of pain in the center of her chest with increased pain when inhaling. After rest, and room temp water, the pain subsides. Has flared up on the last 2 activitiy nights we have had. Younger brother is Hypoplastic Right Heart, and the Heart Mom in me is worried she may also have an underlying congenital defect? Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks for the update on the past medical history and her family history of congenital heart illness.

Dyspnea or breathlessness on effort compels as you know for sure, a formal exclusion of a heart disease. However, in her situation, other conditions must also be considered like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. A family history of asthma is also important to considered.

A physical examination remains a key aspect int the evaluation process. A chest X XXXXXXX cardiac ultrasound and electrocardiogramm, coupled with a clinical examination should be sufficient to make an appropriate diagnosis.

I am afraid with a strong family history of heart disease with a clinical picture as such, chances of congenital heart disease are high, but it s not certain. An early diagnosis however puts a table for an early management with better outcomes.

I suggest you consult a cardiologist for a proper evaluation and management.
Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.