Child having stomach pain and chest pain while swallowing food. Any home remedy?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
my daughter (age ~ 5yr) is complaining chest pain while swallowing food since today lunch time.She is showing the area around centre of the chest just only when swallowing food.
Just now my daughter told, she is having stomach pain also. she passed motion twice today, which is not normal for her; usually she clears her bowl once a day.

Due you think this is due to gas/acidity problem?

What is the quick home remedy?
I am very tensed, can you please guide?

XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later
Please do not worry.
Yes it seems that your daughter is suffering from acid reflux and gas problems causing her pain . This could be a starting indication of a bout of gadtroenteritis considering she has loose bowel movements too.
First and foremost you can give her some cold milk or curds at home .Let her drink plenty of water as per thirst.
If you can go to your doctor it would be best because she might need prescription antacids( like syrup Aciloc S , gelusil )and analgesics like Dicyclomine etc. If pain / loose motions persists then she might need antibiotic course and probiotics supplements ( nutrolin b etc).
Avoid giving her a spicy or fatty meal. Fruits( bananas ) or dal rice can be given.
Avoid any soft drinks or colas.
If you see any danger signs like blood in stools , breathing difficulty or high fever then seek prompt medical attention.
As of now you need not worry and a single dose of mild analgesic ( acetaminophen or dicyclomine ) or antacids should relieve her pain.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me k ow if you have any further doubts.

Follow-up: Child having stomach pain and chest pain while swallowing food. Any home remedy? 16 minutes later
Thanks a lot.
I got scared when she told it's paining while swallowing. Later I realized its not the case. May be she is feeling more while swallowing hard food.

She is absolutely all right otherwise.

Can I give her neopeptin?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes in that case it's not worrisome at all.
Yes you can give her a dose( 1 tsp) of neopeptine liquid (or 1ml if drops) to relieve any digestive upset.
I would also recommend that you get her deworming medicines ( noworm or bandy plus etc) regularly as per her doctors advice because in young kids worms are frequent causes of abdominal pain on off.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your daughter good health.

Follow-up: Child having stomach pain and chest pain while swallowing food. Any home remedy? 13 hours later
Thanks for your response.

We have her newopeptin last night.

Morning she passed the motion, which is little red in color. We did some visual examination and it's look like the effect of having beet-rrot curry in last lunch. But still I am confused.

she is complaining for chest pain while swallowing hard food(driking is OK) only. The stomach pain is gone.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
The chest pain could be due to gastritis ( more specifically esophagitis ) and hence I advised you to get her evaluated by her doctor once to rule out any gastroenteritis.
Blood in stools can be grossly seen or occult but when seen one can easily make it out. Beet root can give red colour stools which are formed whereas of there is blood in stools it could be more like diarrhoeal stools ( watery , greenish , foul smelling, foamy etc). If she has had any outside food prior to this episode or any spicy meal it could just be a irritating gastritis . You can wait and watch for a couple of days of she has no other symptoms except pain. The pain should resolve in a couple of days with or without antacids in such a case. If there is any further worsening then kindly consult her doctor to rule out an infective gastroenteritis.
In any case as of now it doesn't seem worrisome . So do give her plenty of fluids and a soft diet for relief.
Wishing her good health.

Follow-up: Child having stomach pain and chest pain while swallowing food. Any home remedy? 11 minutes later
Dear Mam,
Thanks for this quick response.

The stool was hard enough and normal; neither foul smelling nor watery/foamy.

She didn't take any outside food for sure. But to be honest, she took a lot of desi ghee(even directly also,raw) in last few meals. On top of that she had lot of fried collyflower and few other fired items yesterday(both the meals).

Just want to know, is this pain will stay for few days?

Sorry for putting to many follow ups. Actually I benefited many times earlier through this website. many thanks for all of your support.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 minutes later
Thanks for the follow ups. Yes too much of fatty foods as mentioned could be the cause of her gastritis and pain . This should resolve in a couple of days . Like I mentioned before give her a soft diet and lots of fluids , basically some rest to her digestive tract and she will be fine soon. If pain persists beyond 2-3 days then consult her doctor.
Hope I have cleared your doubts.
Wishing you and your family good health.
Regards.