Child having stomach ache and throwing up yellow and clear vomit. What might be causing this?

Pediatrician
Question
My 5 year old son has been throwing up yellow and clear vomit. He has been complaining his stomach hurts in the morning for the last couple of days. What might be causing this? Stress? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 22 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

To facilitate in coming to a conclusion I would like to have some more facts:
1. During which time of the day does the child vomit?
2. Is it related to any meal?
3. Is the vomit related to the pain that he complains in the morning?
4. For how long has it been happening?

It can be due to stress in case he vomits before going to school or after forced feeding of breakfast, etc.

In case the vomitings persist it is advisable to get him examined by a doctor who may consider an ultrasound of the upper abdomen.

In the interim, you can try giving him 4 mg. of ondansetron in the morning and observe if he vomits.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications.

Wishing your son all the best..

RKK

Follow-up: Child having stomach ache and throwing up yellow and clear vomit. What might be causing this? 18 minutes later
1. usually in the early morning time
2. yes, sometimes it is related to meals as he had OCD and goreges on his food
3. yes, I believe the vomiting is related to his stomach pains
4. this has been happening once or twice a month, for the last three months but
has been very persistant the last three days with increasing vomiting and diahrea

we have a very dysfunctional family with a lot of yelling and screaming going on
around him. and a 10 year old sister that is verbally, emotionally and physically
abusive to both myself and my son. yes, we have a therapist as well as a
shrink.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the update.

By what you mention it appears to be stress related. However in your latest update you also mention diarrhoea. In this case I suggest that you get a stool examination done and consult your doctor who may prescribe some medicines to control the diarrhoea and vomiting.

Also it shall be a good idea to involve a child psychologist who may help your son in OCD and counsel the family in handling the situation.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Feel free to revert back for any clarification.

Wishing your son all the best..

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing this discussion then please do rate my answer.