Ask a Dentist   »  

Child having red spot on gum line. What could be this?

I noticed a tiny red spot on my 18 month old daughters gumline. What is this? It is no larger than a pin prick. It doesn't appear to bother her at all. She is otherwise perfect. I did change her toothbrush yesterday, after looking at the packaging, I see that it says for children 2 years plus.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 58 minutes later

I understand that your baby is having tiny red spots on her gum line, at the age of 18 months this can be a sign of errupting decidous (milk) teeth. The errupting tooth exerts pressure on the gums leading to sometimes pain and red spots which will disappear as soon as tooth errupts.

Therefore there is no point to get worried.

But during this period children are more prone to infection, so please maintain a good oral and general hygiene.

I would advise to clean the gum pads of your baby with a clean guaze soaked in lukewarm saline water where tooth are not errupted do regular brushing, sometimes during erruption there can be a chance of abscess so there could be bleeding and gingivitis.

For successive treatment of gum disease early diagnosis is important. If signs and symptoms of gum disease are present in the child the Parents should take their kids to the Dentist. Parents should inculcate good oral hygiene in their kids.

Hope this helps out. Let me know if you need some more clarifications.

Wishing your child a good health!

Take Care!
Dr Qazi.