Child having red rash on torso. Waking up screaming and crying. Throwing up. Allergy possible?

Feb 2013

My Grandson has a red rash on his torso and was seen by a doctor last week who said it was viral. Tonight he is waking up screaming and crying and the rash has gotten worse and moved to his leg. Red and bumpy. Is there anything we can do, or does this require a trip to ER or Urgent Care? No fever, not eating well, coughing. Seems to be fine during the day at daycare, but not at home. Allergy possible? Have had a cat for four months, my daughters boyfriend is an exterminator? No new soap, laundry detergent or lotions. He is 13 months old and has been drinking whole milk. She even took him off the milk and put him on almond milk. He was throwing up everytime he drank, but was coughing a lot also. Thought the coughing might be related but switched just in case. Not sure it's the milk though.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergy possible. Apply calamine lotion.Follow up

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the images you have uploaded along with this query.

As the rash is red and bumpy it could be due to urticaria which may result from an allergic skin reaction to known or unknown allergens.

Examine carefully his clothes, bed, food items, and home to look for any allergen and if you find anything eliminate it.

Some times a viral rash also presents like this. But usually fever is associated with viral illnesses.

As there is no fever, nothing to worry. Cough could be related to this event, mostly of an allergic one.

Observe his activity, respiration, urine output, and hydration and if there is any abnormality like dullness, increased respiratory rate, stridor, difficulty in breathing, fever, or decreased urine output I suggest you to take to emergency.

If the child is comfortable without any fever, distress, or dehydration you can show the child to pediatrician.

For rash you can apply a calamine containing lotion externally over the rash twice or thrice daily for soothing effect on skin.

Oral antihistamines such as hydroxyzine can be given to the child for the rash with doctor prescription.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for follow up clinical assessment in view of spreading of the rash to legs and for prescription of medication for rash and cough.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.