Child having red, dry, bumpy spotty rash all over stomach. On phenergan. Any suggestions?

Jul 2012

Hi, my 2 year old has been violently scratching herself all over (head, face, neck, legs, stomach) for almost 2 weeks now. Shes broken the skin on her legs and face but has a red, dry, bumpy spotty rash all over her stomach. We havent changed ANYthing (no new soap powder, new food etc). The only changed is that I'm 8.5 months pregnant and just started maternity leave so shes been spending 2.5 days a week at home with me, rather than full time at the childminders.
I've taken her to the GP 5 days ago as she is struggling to sleep but she hasn't got a temperature and is eating well still. She prescribed phenergan which she has been taking fit the last 5 days and we're are using Sudacrem to try and cool/stop the itching but the last 2 nights have been the worst...she can't sleep at all and tonight has become really angry and confused, she's obviously overtired and frustrated but shes been screaming and throwing herself around (and not making much sense as its as if shes still half asleep).

We'll take her back to the GP first thing Monday but is there anything else we can do to help her in the meantime? Or an idea of what this could be? Thank you..
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
Stop the is a sedative antihistamine & must be accounting for her current state.
Soak her in a tub with oat meals (careful not to slip) or with a n oat meal based Aveeno product to soothe the skin or just plain tepid water with bubbles that kids love...when she steps out, make it fun for her to apply a moisturiser like cetaphil or aveeno atop the wet skin on the entire body..just ensure the head & chest are wiped dry so that she does not catch a cold.
Do go across to your Gp on Mon...In the interim, you may want to give her a non-sedative antihistamine like desloratidine 2.5ml (aerius is one brand i recall) & this your pharmacist may be able to help you out given she is a child.
It is most likely a condition called atopic dermatitis & some foods or dust around the house may be precipitating it & one should not rule out her annoyance at a new-comer into her life that is changing equations for her ;-) So be gentle, lots of tlc (tender love & care) & patience..know it is difficult...i have 4 of my own so empathise & the reason i picked to answer this question.
Do close this query if you find my advice worth your while, else it bounces up as a follow-up & today being a sunday is family day :) much appreciated & good luck to your little one & do hope this general advice holds till monday & BEYOND Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India