Child having recurrent diarrhoea. Was treated with antibiotic. Stool test showed pus cell. Asked to stop dairy products

Pediatrician
Question
Hello dr
I have 10 month baby she is having diarrhoea from last 3-4 month .
First she got diarrhoea at 4 month but recovered from that by the course of antibiotics .
At 6 month she again got diarrhoea episode and doctor prescribe here again antibiotics. From this episode she could not recover fully she continue to pass 4-6 stool . From this each month she having diarrheal episode when her frequency increases to 10-12 time . and when recover she passes 4-5 stool . Her stool test comes normal except some test when she got some pus cell . Also she got positive for reducing substance. Doctor asked stopped dairy product , hence we stooped . however we continue to breast feeding.

This time when she got diarreha episode We have shown to paediatrics gastro , who asked to check three consecutive stool for routine test and rota virus antigen . These tests comes normal.
However she continuly passing stool almost10-20 stool per day some time watery some time undigested food . Mostly after each feed she is passing stool which is undigested.
We are feeding he rice , banana , zeolac powder and breastfeeding in night only.
This time doctor did not suggest for antibitics as her routine test is normal.
This time paediatrics gastro suggest to do stomac x XXXXXXX , that we are planning today.

Her weigth at birth was 2.8 kg and its 7.2 kgs at 6 month and now 8.7 kgs .

We are very much worried about her health . can you lets us know what can cause such persistence diarrhoea is any other test you recommended for her.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 31 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I have reviewed the reports and your daughter's case and am of the opinion that she is gaining weight which is more for her age. As the reports are coming normal I suggest that you do not increase her diet for the next month.

I suggest that you discuss with your pediatrician and plot the weight on a percetile wieght graph and you will observe that the weight is increasing more than the initial percentile for her age.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Child having recurrent diarrhoea. Was treated with antibiotic. Stool test showed pus cell. Asked to stop dairy products 2 hours later
But what about the diarrhea she is having diarrhea which very troublesome she is passing stool almost 10-20 times a day which is also watery sometime and sometime undigested what may be the reason for such diarrhea . In last two month she only gained 400 gms . is it too much . we are giving only small feeds . Is we should avoid breastfeeding as she was found postive for reducing substance .

what is reason our doctor prescribe x XXXXXXX and what they check by x XXXXXXX .

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

An infant's weight increases by about 500-600 gm. per month in the first few months and then around 400-500 gm.. So your child should weigh around 9 Kg. at about 1 year of age. Considering your child's weight I am satisfied.

I can understand your concern regarding the frequency of motion. I suggest that you stop the top milk feeds and continue breast feeding along with normal meals like khichdi, rice, vegetables, etc. You should increase curd in the diet and probiotics like Nutrolin-B to recondition her intestines. As the weight gain is adequate I would not worry about the frequency of the motion which shall reduce with the introduction of more solid food replacing the milk feeds.

I would wait for a week or two before getting the stool tested again for reducing substance. Breast feeding should not be stopped for this reason.

I do not see any reason for getting x-ray done as it is not going to reveal anything significant.

I hope I have answered all your doubts to your satisfaction. Please feel free to write for any further clarifications.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Child having recurrent diarrhoea. Was treated with antibiotic. Stool test showed pus cell. Asked to stop dairy products 34 hours later
Dear DR

we have done her ultrasound test which was normal except few lympnode of 10 mm everything else was normal , however x XXXXXXX report shows few large air fluild bubble are observed in abdomen . She have not vomited and even her stomach is soft . only current problem is that she is passing undigested food , her stool frequency also reduced .

We are very worried about x XXXXXXX report , what cab cuase of such x XXXXXXX report when ultrasound reports is normal and baby is no having sign of intestine obstructuction. Please help us also can you some suggest good pediatrc gastro in NCR
Follow-up: Child having recurrent diarrhoea. Was treated with antibiotic. Stool test showed pus cell. Asked to stop dairy products 4 minutes later
exact x XXXXXXX report says ; Few large air fluid level noted in abdomen represent sub actuct obstruction

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 34 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

You need not worry about the x-ray report and the ultrasound report. We should see the reports in light of the clinical findings and in isolation. If there was subacute obstruction as reported in the x-ray report the child should have been vomiting, which you say has stopped.

You mentioned that the frequency of the motions have reduced which is a good sign. As your child weight gain is adequate I would still suggest that you should reduce the milk feeds and increase more solid food.

Virtually all the corporate hospitals have a pediatric gastroenterologist. You can contact the hospital near your residence and get the details of the pediatric gastroenterologist. I refer my cases to either Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX Superspeciality, XXXXXXX or Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in Medanata, Gurgaon, or Dr Sarath Gopalan in PSRI, or Dr XXXXXXX Sibal in Apollo.

I hope I have answered all your queries to your satisfaction.

Rajiv