Child having pain in armpit during night. What could be causing this?

My 3 year old chlid complains about pain in his right armpit. It does not seems to bother him during the day (unless I want to touch it), but he is touching his arm pit frequently during the night. I do not feel any obvious lump, but I am not a physician.... he has no fever, only a runny nose. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX I think your son may have got inflamed axillary gland. He may has
had an infection some where around(R)armpit and the function of the lymph glands
are to arrest infection and as a result they become painful. In 3yrs old child If a very tiny lymph gland in the armpit is affected it is extremely difficult to identify. The pain in lymphgland
is produced when the gland capsule is stressed. Apart from that if the child strained
muscles or ligaments around armpit(Axilla) the pain may linger for a while.
I strongly advise you to take your son to a competent Paeditrician for through
examination and treatment. But the history which you have given I feel it will
settle down in course of time. Kindest regards Dr S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Child having pain in armpit during night. What could be causing this? 23 hours later

I have a appointment schedule with a pediatrician in two weeks. I guess it can wait until that date?

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 46 minutes later
I am sure it will be okay.
Kindest regards
Dr S.k. Mukherjee