Child having headache and feeling lightheaded. Should I be concerned?

Nov 2013

Hello. My son is 9 years old. For about 4-6 weeks he has been complaining of a daily headache that happens every day, always frontal and sometimes with light headed feelings. They are not severe, more a dull ache but consistent each day regardless of food and activity type. He says they last about an hour and then go away, sometimes comes back again later that day but mostly nothing until the next day. Should I be overly concerned?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your son's symptoms do not point to any serious brain disease.

The most likely cause in his case could be a childhood migraine, which is quite common.

Since he has daily headaches, he may benefit from preventive medications (to prevent recurrent headaches) such as beta blockers, flunarizine, Topiramate, etc.

If his headaches persist or if he reports other symptoms such as vomiting, blurred vision, etc, then it may be good to get a brain CT or MRI scan done.

As of now, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Child having headache and feeling lightheaded. Should I be concerned? 19 minutes later
Thank you! Your answer has relieved a little worry! My follow up question is because he does indicate feeling lightheaded or dizzy when he experiences the headaches, can that be normal too with childhood migraine? Not really blurred vision or other impairments, but yes to dizzy and lightheaded.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Dizziness and lightheadedness are part of childhood migraine, and there is no need to worry about that.

Hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)