Child having green stools. Have started solid foods. What could be the cause?

I have 7 month old son. From last couple of days his stool is green almost like there are green threads in it. We started feeding him with solid foods like banana puree,cerelac(wheat) and home made cereals.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Pediatrics, working with an experienced Pediatrician. I answer on his behalf.

Greenish stool indicate decreased intestinal transit time. This means that the intestines are moving faster not allowing the food to be digested and hence the bile (green) is being excreted in stool unchanged.

The cause for this could be indigestion or infections.

For few days I suggest you to restrain from giving him solid foods and give only liquid diet. If the condition continues then he may have to be examined to rule out infections.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Child having green stools. Have started solid foods. What could be the cause? 8 days later
Thanks for your help%0AWe stopped giving banana and green stool stopped.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.