Child having frequent hiccups from long time. Done with EKG and ultrasound. What could be the problem?

My 12 yr. old daughter has been having frequent hiccups for about 1-1/2 yrs. She has been to 2 PA's, a pediatrician, a cardiologist and no one has an answer. They have tested her blood sugar & some other blood tests. She's had EKG's & ultrasounds.It seems like the hiccups start shortly after she eats & she gets up. I'm starting to give up hope to find an answer. She's even had friends that make comments about her having the hiccups so much. It's really bothersome for her & starting to get annoying to others. Would could be the problem?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern and frustration. As all the investigations are normal and no possible cause has been found I will not be able to add anything more.

As you mentioned that the hiccups are more after she eats and she gets up I suggest that you reduce the spices, if any and, if possible, the quantity by about 5% or so. The reason being that hiccups occur due to the over-reaction of the diaphragm and probably the distension of the stomach following the meal may be initiating the reflex.

I can understand the comments of your daughter's friends disturbing her but we need to make them understand that the hiccups are beyond her control. I know this is easier said then done.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Child having frequent hiccups from long time. Done with EKG and ultrasound. What could be the problem? 12 hours later
She has the hiccups everyday & we've kept track of the different foods she eats & haven't found any types of food make any difference. She also gets them sometimes when she hasn't eaten. She can sometimes have hiccups about 10 times a day. She at times has felt dizzy, felt hot, sometimes red cheeks, sometimes pale, headaches. She's also had several recurring episodes of feeling sick to her stomach & has vomited. There has been times that she's even woke up during the night & felt sick, vomited & sometimes even just laid on the bathroom floor. She's missed the most school days of her school yrs. the last 1-1/2 yrs. She used to have perfect attendance. The teachers have even asked her sometimes if she feels OK & have sent her to go lay down for awhile. This summer since school's been out she hasn't complained as often of feeling sick, but the hiccups still continue.
The cardiologist tested her for neuro-synco but didn't diagnose that to be the problem. He put her on Famotidine for 1 mo. but that didn't help,actuallly sometimes she felt worse.The cardiologist suggested she maybe should be seen by a gastronolergist & have a scope done, possible a biopsy. Do you think this would be needed? I don't want her to encounter those tests if there would be any way else to figure out what could be wrong. I just would like to get her better & feel assured there isn't something medically seriously wring with her.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 21 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

It is better to get your daughter to be examined by a gastroenterologist. You need not be afraid of the endoscopy. It is an outdoor procedure and may tell us more about the condition of the stomach. Let the gastroenterologist decide on the cause of the stomach pain.

It is very difficult to say about the cause and seriousness of the problem without a thorough clinical examination.

We would not like your daughter to miss her school and should be an active member both of the family and society.

I hope I have responded to your doubts to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

With regards,