Child having fever, sore throat and tonsils with headache. Blood test normal. CRP elevated. On keflex and zpak

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, I do not normaly do this, I am not one to jump on the internet for answers but I feel it XXXXXXX can't hurt at this point XXXXXXX I have an 11 year old son whom seems more ill more often than my other two children. He has struggled all his life with many illness's most always marked as viral. We have seen an immunologist which really only found a low igm level on a couple of occasions but never acted as if it was a big deal. Most recently my son became sick last sunday 4/27/13 his symptoms included fever ( high of 103.9 low of 101.9 for 7 days straight), body aches, dizziness, sore throat/tonsils ( tonsils very red swollen and full of bloody pus pockets) and headache. We saw our pcp on monday we did blood cultures x's 2 ( negative), rapid strep and culture ( negative) cbc ( hemoglobin mildly low, wbc normal, absolut lymphs mildly elevated moncytes elevated and basophils elevated) , crp ( elevated 2.5) repeat crp elevated to 7.92. one round of keflex and one round of zpak. Pcp diagnosed him with pneumonia and he is slightly better today but pcp referred us to pediatric dermatolgy next week. Im worried any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Welcome to HCM!
I know that it is difficult to see the child suffering from frequent illnesses.
But fortunately you have to be happy that the investigations turned out normal!!!!
Being immunologically deficient is a big problem.

This seems to be o again more of a viral illness.
Cbc is more suggestive of viral infection.
He will get over from these infections.
Just being a school student,teach him some preventive actions like not touching common areas like rails in the corridor,avoiding contact with affected kids,etc.
In a classroom when one child coughs or sneezes,the infection will spread fast.
So whatever can be avoided,he can try.

Why dermatologist ---- any skin problems?

Do not worry
Dr Uma