Child having fever. Urine test showing pus cells, ultrasound reports showing kidney and liver enlargement. Need advice

My daughter is 6 years old and was having severe fever from last few days, doctor suggest urine test and ultrasounds, xrays, as result urine test shown pus cells- 80-90, tlc- 0000.. ultrasound reports shows both kidney enlargments and mild lever enlargment also, please suggest diagnose for this.. Is there any kind of dangers in this kind of symptoms.. kindly advice , thanks.. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later

High grade fever, 80-90 pus cells in urine and a TLC(total leukocyte count) of 0000 is suggestive of severe Urinary tract infection.

She is having infection in urinary tract, that is the kidneys and bladder which is giving rise to high grade fever. This degree of infection requires hospitalization (admission in a hospital) and intravenous injectable antibiotics.

I suggest you admit her to the hospital immediately and follow the pediatrician's advise.

Mild enlargement of liver can be seen in children during fever.

The main concern to be taken care of is the enlargement of kidneys as it can be due to upper urinary tract infection(that is involvement of kidneys).

She need to be treated with higher antibiotics for the current infection.

Please consult your doctor and he will prescribe the necessary antibiotics for the cure of infection.

As far as the danger or apprehension regarding these symptoms is concerned let me assure you that most children are cured with proper and timely treatment.

Untreated infection and recurrent infections can cause complications like kidney infection, swelling of kidneys and sometimes even kidney abscess.

Presently it is important to get her treated and then take precautions to prevent recurrence.

Hope I have answered your concerns to your satisfaction.

In case of any query please write back.

Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.