Child having dizziness, stomach aches, shaky legs. Not interested in normal activities

My 8 year old is complaining of dizziness,stomach aches and legs that she says shake involuntary .she is very tired and looks pale , she doesn't seem to want to play soccer or anything else . We did just have a very close friend die who was a mom and I thought she may just want to stay home so she could be close to me but now I'm not sure- any ideas?she can eat and she also is a little on the heavy side but normally very active
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

Thank you for using the XXXXXXX service to clear your doubts about your daughter.

I can see why you mentioned the loss of a friend in your question. You seem to be worried that this could have had an emotional impact upon your daughter and that this could be the cause of her symptoms. You could well be correct, but I would make sure that there is no other upheaval in her life before coming to this conclusion.

Although each of the symptoms listed by you could be harbingers of medical illnesses ranging from A to Z, the entire gamut of symptoms that she has point to a depressive phase in her life and needs some counseling from her school counselor. This is not to say that she has major depression; I am only suggesting that she could be going through a down phase because of either the loss in your contacts (your friend's unfortunate demise) or some other event that might have shaken her up either at home or in school.

Kindly send me more details if possible and we would try and analyze the problem from that angle.

In the meantime, do try and probe her mind to see if she tells you something inadvertently about something in her life which may seem to you to be inconsequential but which may have had a life-shattering impact on a child's mind. You could also speak to her school teacher and reflect on your own home's recent events and environments to see if you can uncover something of import.

Revert to me when you have some inkling of what is going on. At this stage, I do not feel any investigations of blood etc. are needed, although if she is "really" pale, I mean her hands and eyes look pale and not just her countenance, you may want to visit her doctor for a hemogram.

I will await further input from you.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher Kagalwala