Child having diper rash. Not cured by using aquaphor. What treatment should be done?

Hi, my baby girl 14 months old has had a diper rash that won't go away. Her girly parts are red and swollen. The ped thinks that it is dryness and advised us to use aquaphor, but that only made things worse. I used lortimin for a few days and there was improvement, but now that rash is back.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 21 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

The rash you are describing can be irritant contact dermatitis, candidiasis or allergic contact dermatitis.

Please answer the following questions to allow me to help you better:

a. Is it itchy ?Is your baby's sleep normal or disturbed?

b. Is there whitish curdy appearance?

c. Is there oozing of fluid or raw area at the site?

d. Can you upload photos of affected area?

Photos can help a lot in diagnosing the condition.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan.
MD Dermatology.
Follow-up: Child having diper rash. Not cured by using aquaphor. What treatment should be done? 18 hours later
Hi Doctor, thank you for your response.
a)the baby is itchy and her sleep is disturbed
b)there is curdy appearence
c)the area is raw and moist, no true oozing The rash starts as a red and puffy swelling of the labia, with the upper layer of skin becoming raw within a couple of days. It looks like tiny wet sores develop on the surface of the skin in the affected area. Yesterday I started using lotrimin again and there is major improvement. The area is lookign less red and puffy with sores drying out. It is so strange. Could "Butt Paste" or other diaper rash treatment prodcuts cause this? She did not have any reaction to any products until recently. How long should I use lotrimin? Should we schedule and appointment with our ped again and insist on further review rather then accepting the diagnosis of"dry skin"?
I will see if I can take a picture, but it looks so much better already.
Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for the details.

Irritant contact dermatitis or fungal (candida) infection are the most likely possibility here. Rarely dry skin can present with similar symptoms.

Accordingly my advise to you are:
Keep the area clean and dry.
You can clean the affected area with warm water.
Avoid any diaper rash products.
You can continue using lotrimin twice daily. It has antifungal and anti bacterial activity.

I am pleased to know that it is healing.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.