Child having difficulty in walking and standing after a flu. Should be concerned?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter woke up 2 days ago and said her legs hurt and she couldn't get out of bed. Today, day 3 she walked a little but prefers to crawl. She can stand but remains on her tippy toes and when I asked her to put her feet flat on the floor she collapsed. It was as if her legs were weak. A while ago for about 6 weeks she was complaing that her feet hurt. She has been suffering from flu like symptoms for 7 days but is improving today. I'm not convinced its related. I took her to 2 different doctors and they said it was achiness from the flu.
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 6 hours later
Hi there
This issue is not simple to explain without observing the child over few days.
Two specific signs you have mentioned, they are inability to walk and difficulty in standing (tip toeing or toe walking).

With these symptoms, first thing that should strike a doctor, is acute childhood viral myositis. This condition is known to be associated with flu, especially in recovery phase.Often this gets obver i a week. A person can have flu 2 times in an year. FLU during pregnancy is unrelated.

Other conditions that may mimick this, that come with weakness and muscle pains are like polyneuritis, polio etc that may need specific clinical examination and test called EMG NCV. Those are rare.

At times it an be just as simple issue of a shoebite,pain in sole, ankle sprain which though looks obvious; may need to be examined for. I even had a smilar case with small sized diaper used for a 3 year old kid causing nerve compression at buttocks.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Please let me know if you need any further clarification on any issue.
Thank you so much .