Child having diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Not cured by medicine. What should I do?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, My son is 9 months 15 days old, for last 4-5 days he is having loose motion(greenish colour,Liquid form),vomiting & he is also having fever. he is not eager to take any type of food,i have started giving ORS from yesterday. fever lowers down when we give him 0.8 Ml of crosin or 2.5 ml of meftal-p, but after an hr or so the same increases.we are giving him dentonic pills(5-6) 2 times a day for tooth,but no improvement so far.his forehead is always more warmer then body. what to do ? I m very tensed.
pl. revert imme.. as he is getting motions too frequently...
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern regarding the diarrhoea, vomiting and fever of your son. You are doing the right thing by giving him ORS and paracetamol (Crocin). As there has been no improvement during the past 4-5 days, I suggest that you get his stool examined and consult a doctor so that a suitable antibiotic, if required, can be started.

In the interim I would suggest the following for your son:
1. Increase the dose of syp. Crocin to 3-4 ml. 4 hourly if the temperature is above 99F by side.
2. Give him plenty of liquids in the form of coconut water, lemonade and butter milk.
3. Give him food like khichdi, mashed potato, over-ripe banana, curd.

Regarding your query that his forehead is always warmer than the body, this is a normal phenomenon. As the brain requires constant supply of oxygen there is more blood supply to the head. It is always better to record the temperature from only one site like arm pit or rectum every 4 hours or so.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share any other fact regarding the case.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Child having diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Not cured by medicine. What should I do? 16 hours later
Thankyou very much doctor. diwali greetings to you...
Till how many days can we give crocin, also for motions have started rinifall.
On giving curd,buttermilk & lemonade i am concerned as have learnt that during fever we cant eat curd, Pl. advice

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Belated diwali greetings to you too. Thanks for the update.

As already mentioned above Crocin should only be given if there is fever. It brings down the temperature and is not the treatment for fever.

It is good that you have started Rinifol which contains lactobacillus which reconditions the intestinal flora rather than treating the cause of diarrhoea. I will appreciate if you get a stool routine done to know the type of infection.

Yes, it is a very common belief that curd, buttermilk and lemonade should not be given in fever. I do not subscribe to this belief and have not found any substance in this belief. The decision has to be yours.

I hope I have responded to your satisfaction.

RKK

Follow-up: Child having diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Not cured by medicine. What should I do? 21 minutes later
Thanks doctor,
Can you pl. tell me what is the test name for stool.

XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay in responding as I was away for lunch.

You should get a stool routine examination done. However, my suggestion is that you get your son examined by a doctor in case his fever is not subsiding and his motions are not getting controlled.

RKK