Child having diarrhea, headache, mild reflux and scratchy throat. Is this a stomach virus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter has stomach virus (diarrhea). My stomach has been making loud gurgling noises & have had 2 episodes of yellow clay like feces. Is it a stomach virus? I also have a mild headache, mild reflux & a scratchy throat.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to an intestinal viral infection.
Most of times it is a self limiting infection and the symptoms subside in 5-7 days without any specific treatment. Following these measures will be helpful-
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.