Child having diarrhea and severe diaper rash. Tested negative for rotavirus. Cause and cure?

My 2 yr old has had severe diarrhea for 7 days that has given her a severe diaper rash. It almost looks like an acid burn on her little tush & private area. We hv been 2 the Dr twice & they took stool samples so we're waiting 4 the results. The Dr called us today & told me she was negative for the rotovirus but we're still waiting on test results on salmonella, ecoli etc. The Dr told me to put Dr Smiths ointment on her & rinse her after every poopie diaper, which I'm doing religiously. She is in so much pain & says it burns. Pls help. What could this possibly be.
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You have to wait for the result of stool examination.
This could be a bacterial diarrhea and in such a case pus cells would be found in the stool.Proper antibiotic can be given to him only after the culture report.
Till then,take care of the hydration by giving him plenty of oral fluids.
Keep applying the ointment as suggested by the doctor.
There is nothing to worry as your child shall be all right soon.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck