Child having diaper rash and rash on groin area. Skin is red. No cream has given relief. What to do?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi my two year old son has developed what I thought was diaper rash a couple days has turned into something else like a rash on his groin area. His skin is very red and starting to become raw (probably from him scratching). I don't have insurance right now and am hoping there is some OTC medicine I can use. I have used cornstartch, diaper rash cream, and neosporine but nothing has helpd. I can send a picture if need be
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
anti fungal cream may help

Detailed Answer:

If the rash has not responded to simple rash cream,

It may be Fungal infection- antifungal cream may help.

It may be due to zinc deficiency.

Keep the area dry.

Keep the area exposed to air

Anti histamine syrup in appropriate dose can help or itching.

Good luck

Dr uma