Child having cough and cold, prescribed nebulization. Suggestion?

Feb 2013

Regarding my 7 months old son's cough & cold - He has been having this for more than 10 days now. Today the doctor has suggested Nebulization.
My querry is - does it take this long for cough and cold to go. Are there any tests required?
Kindly suggest!
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Cold and cough may persist for longer duration in infants.

In most of the infants, presence of cold and cough is suggestive of an upper wheezing or signs of lower respiratory airway obstruction, nebulization may be advised after examination by the doctor.

If the cough is associated with fever, respiratory distress, a chest X-ray and complete blood picture may be useful to rule out the lower respiratory tract infection.

I advise you to continue the medication as advised by your pediatrician and be in regular follow up with him.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.