Child have stomach pain. US showed spleen was in over limit. What else to do?

General Surgeon
my 14 year old son was having a lot of stomach pain earlier this year so finally he had an ultrasound last week and it says his spleen was slightly over the limits of 15 cm. his cbc came back normal and mono test negative. should he get tested for anything else? his doctor does not seem worried but I am very worried help
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastroscopy should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

If his pain is located in the middle upper abdomen (where the stomach is located) gastroscopy should be also done. Regular ultrasound usually does not give any information about stomach condition. Blood work is usually negative in case of stomach issues.
Characteristic for stomach diseases (peptic ulcer or inflammation) is upper middle abdominal pain which appears after a meal. It does not radiate to the back. Nausea and vomiting can be also present.
Your sons spleen is only slightly enlarged so it does not seem to be anything serious. However to be certain, I suggest you to consult hematologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Child have stomach pain. US showed spleen was in over limit. What else to do? 2 days later
thank you. I will ask my doctor about those tests. the ultrasound report says slightly enlarged spleen and also it says over 15 cm. I thought that over 15 was more than slight? can he just have a large spleen naturally? or can it just enlarge to 15 or so for no reason? Also he has a rash on his shoulder that has not went away in months. I am really worried about lymphoma because I have been reading online. would some sign show up in a cbc if lymphoma or something was causing any of this? his cbc and mono were negative. Also last month he was walking with the same shoulder raised and I thought he might just have a sore muscle or something but it seems that he isn't doing this anymore. I don't know if that related or not but thought I would mention it.
correction.. his cbc was normal and mono test negative
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Generally there are 2 options: he has been having such spleen since he was born (and its normal for him) or it has gotten enlarged due to some reason.
Spleen can get enlarged for leukemia indeed. However there is so many other diseases which can make it large including infectious diseases (please see this: WWW.WWWW.WW .
Acute leukemia should give very high WBC in CBC. Other possible symptoms of acute leukemia are bleedings, red dots on the skin, weakness, night sweating.