Child has white spots and big red patches around them. What is this?

My daughter has come out with white spots and big red patches round them what is this?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I have reviewed the photo which you submitted. this has the appearance of what we call tinea versicolor. This is a specific type of inflammation of the skin which is caused by a fungus.

There are several different topical remedies for this. I have attached a link to a website which also gives additional information.

Depending on the availability of over-the-counter medications you might need to see a physician to obtain a prescription for a good topical antifungal treatment.

Thanks again for submitting the question. If I can be of any additional assistance
Please let me know.

Dr. Robert