Child has white greasy flakes on ear, nose and eyebrows. White patches on cheeks. Will they go away?

Question
Hi, My son is 1 month old. A week ago, we noticed white greasy flakes on ear, back of ear, near nose & on eye brows. We went to doctor and he confirmed it could be Seborrheic dermatitis. We were asked to use different soap, shampoo & Cetaphil cream. Now, flakes are gone, but it has got white patches. Also, there are white patches on cheeks & chin. I am worried if these white pacthes will go away and how much time it would take to treat?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

From the pictures, it looks like pityriasis versicolor. Although it is more common in young adults, it can also be found in infants and hence it should be ruled out from a dermatologist.

Pityriasis versicolor (Tinea veriscolor) is a fungal infection caused by commensal yeasts in hot and humid conditions and has to be differentiated from seborrheic dermatitis.

The diagnosis of tinea versicolor is usually made based on clinical examination findings; however, the diagnosis is easily confirmed with microscopic examination of scales soaked in 10%-15% potassium hydroxide (KOH). You can get this test done from a dermatologist.

Although it is self limiting and skin color alterations usually resolve within a few months of treatment, yet severe cases may respond well to topical antifungals for which you should consult a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Child has white greasy flakes on ear, nose and eyebrows. White patches on cheeks. Will they go away? 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your advice. Actually he has got flakes on scalp also. Currently paediatrician has advised to use Selsun shampoo (twice in a week) and spoo shampoo & XXXXXXX bar soap daily. As I mentioned earlier, he also advised desowin ( one time per day for 5 days) and cetaphil moisturiser ( 3 times per day for 5 days) and asked to follow up in 2 weeks, scheduled on 28th XXXXXXX

I have few queries: Can I wait till 28th? Should I continue to visit paediatrician or should goto Dermatologist? How about continuing with the current medicines?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can wait till 28th January and the treatment prescribed is fine. Topical antifungal like selsun shampoo are used for treatment of both seborrheic dermatitis as well as pityriasis versicolor and can be used.

Cetaphil moisturizer will also help in the condition. You can consult a dermatologist if there is no improvement in the condition till 28th January.

Wish you good health and a speedy recovery for your son.

Follow-up: Child has white greasy flakes on ear, nose and eyebrows. White patches on cheeks. Will they go away? 32 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your advice. I am going to wait till 28th XXXXXXX
Selsun shampoo has been prescribed only to be used on scalp wherever flakes are present. Shall I need to use this shampoo on face and neck wherever white patches are visible or only citaphel is enough? However, there are no flakes on these spots.

I can see two more has popped up on shoulder, starts with red dot like pimples which later becomes white patches, two patches merge slowly to each other. how much time shall it take to get back normal skin colour?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Selsun shampoo is used for white patches of pityriasis versicolor on the face and upper trunk also but use it only under your baby's pediatrician's guidance. Selsun Blue works for some people of pityriasis versicolor, but not all, because it only contains 1% selenium sulfide. If there is no improvement in condition, then your child may need other topical antifungals.

Pityriasis versicolor is more common in people who have seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff, and hyperhidrosis and effect may last for weeks or months under treatment.

Regards.