Child has swollen and painful testicle after being kicked. Painkiller not helping. What should I do?

Nephrologist
Question
Hello
My 10 year old son has a swollen testicle with pain after being kicked mistakenly by his younger brother 3 days ago. I have given him pain killers and just wanted to see if it would go down today but it doesn't seem to be getting better, what should I do.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more details in order to help you better

1. How big is the swelling? Is it soft or hard in consistency? Is there any discolouration of the surrounding skin? It would be best if you could attach a photo
2. Is he able to walk without pain?
3. What pain killers have you given and how many per day?
4. Is there fever?
5. Was there any bleeding while urinating?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Child has swollen and painful testicle after being kicked. Painkiller not helping. What should I do? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response, he has just told me that it feels like its going to burst meaning its hard
but the swell is not that much bigger than the other testicle.
There is no discoloration.
I have given him 2 tablets of paracetamol
It hurts him sometimes when he is walking but not all the time.
He does not have a fever right now.
Finally there is no bleeding during urination and it doesn't hurt during urination.
It only hurts when he is taking off his trousers.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 34 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the detailed reply

It does sound like a trivial injury and what you could add is a tablet of serratiopeptidase for a faster recovery. He should recover in a couple of days. But I would like to add here that however trivial the injury to the testis it should be evaluated for with Atleast a urine routine and an examination by a urologist as it can lead to permanent sterility of the child especially since he is pre pubertal.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries I will be happy to get back

Follow-up: Child has swollen and painful testicle after being kicked. Painkiller not helping. What should I do? 19 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr.
I will indeed take him to see a doctor first thing in the morning, but also administer the drug you have prescribed.

I will post a mail if anything else comes up, but hopefully not.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
I am happy I was of help

I wish your son good health and a speedy recovery