Child has strep infection and thyroid. Suggest?

my son is 7..has been feeling poorly off and on since March 2013...I have seen MD..had labs..had a strep infection went with 2 different meds to finally get treated. His TSH was 4.96 and free t4 was .96 at the end of April. On may 24, 2013 it was TSH 3.70 and T4 was 7.8 MD said to recheck at end of summer and just watch needless to say he has not been feeling well off and on and has been worse last 2 weeks..Had labs drawn yester 9/9/2013 with TSH 8.96 and t4 of 1.0
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypothyroid state. Thyroxine replacement required.

Detailed Answer:
He Dear,

Thank your the question and welcome to XXXXXXX

Current report of TSH is clearly indicating towards the Hypothyroid state of the child.
Regular supplementation of Thyroxine hormone will make him euthyroid and he will again start feeling better and active.

Thyroxine is supplemented in a dose of .2 microgram/kg/day daily empty stomach in morning.

Further, he should be thoroughly investigated to rule out any other deficiency or disorder like Liver function test, Kidney function tests, Sugar levels or any other hormonal imbalance in the body. I suggest you consult an endocrinologist along with with your MD.

Hope the query is answered.

Further clarification is welcomed.

Dr Irshad H naqvi
Follow-up: Child has strep infection and thyroid. Suggest? 8 hours later
thank you and his pediatrician has made him an appointment for an endocrine specialist at the University of Iowa..the only thing is they can't get him in for over a treatment till his does this sound correct? I hate that he will have to keep feeling terrible
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not an emergency, you can wait.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Your paed has taken the right discision.
It is wise to have the proper diagnosis and then start the supplemantation of thyroxine.
One or two weeks are not going to have much effect.

Hope for the best

Dr Irshad H Naqvi