Child has red rashes around mouth. Not cured by antibiotic. Any effective cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi there. My son has a red bumpy rash around his mouth. We have taken him to his doctor four times, been on antibiotics twice, and a few rounds steroid cream. Hasn't gotten any better. Closest appointment for the Dermatologist is end of March, looking for advice... He also has two or three pimply looking sores on his nose which may or may not be related but have not healed.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later

Sorry for being sensitive but I dont get why did your doctor prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics are the last medicines which should be used for rashes. Was some bacteria confirmed? Was there some puss discharge or fever? If not then this is not bacterial infection? This is more allergic reacton or skin irritation. It is treated by avoiding allergenes(you need to find them) and by applying local cream. Antihistamine or antiinflammatory creams should be used. If this is not helpful the skin biopsy needs to be done to rule out some skin disorders.
I ve seen photo. It looks to me like some kind of dermatitis(allergic,contact,Seborrheic) dont apply to much steroids, it can cause steroid dermatits. Try to find cause in food, clothes, cosmetics. Dont let your child to lick around mouth.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help