Child has rash on thigh, no itching. Takes Claritin for seasonal allergies. Could this be an insect bite?

Question
My 8 year old son developed a red rash on the back of his thigh. I just noticed it after he got out of the bathtub. He doesn't seem to be scratching it at all. He has Downs Syndrome and communication is a challenge. He is not running a fever. He has seasonal allergies and is taking Claritin. He was at the park on Friday. Could this be an insect bite? He is active and generally happy.
I just wanted to add that it feels a little raised as you'll see in the picture I attached. I applied some Benadryl cream to it.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I have gone through the image you have attached with this query.

The rash appears more as a bruise rather than any inflammatory rash. I do not think it to be due to allergic reaction or due to infection. It could probably be due to sitting for long time on a uneven surface or a bath tub rim. This bruise will surely become more evident when it is subjected to warmth.

Applying cold compresses and massaging gently the affected area may help to get rid of the rash he has. There would be no need for any medication or creams.

Need not worry, the rash will subside on its own.

If the rash is growing in size or developing any associated symptoms then you may have to rush to the ER to get it physically examined to find out the right cause.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.