Child has prominent blue veins on lower back. Cause for concern?

Hi, I just recently noticed that my nine year old son has visible blue veins on his lower back. This seems to be a very recent change and a sudden one too. They are restricted to his lower back only; I checked the rest of his body and did not see them elsewhere. Is there cause for alarm or concern?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
If your baby is very fair skinned it is definitely normal. This also could be due to a distended vein underneath the delicate tissues or due to some mild trauma around the back which resulted in the distension. As they age and continue , there is back pressure in the venous system, that vein bulges and starts to thin and carves out the overlying skin. As of now if there are no symptoms and if it fades away in few days then not to worry. Hope I have answered your query. Thanks