Child has pain while urinating, taken antibiotics. Suggested surgery if medicine does not work. Need advice

My son is 2 and half years old and from the last four months he is complaing about the pain while urinating.(striked majorly twice). We had seen a doctor he has given some antibiotics and suggested that if it continues we have to do some minor operation (to remove the top layer of the skin) so that the problem should not strike again. So please advice and let me know i f you need more information from my side.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Pain during urination could be due to doctor has examined and diagnosed as tight foreskin, then removal (circumcision) would be beneficial.
It is better to check ultrasound scan of the kidneys and bladder, blood tests to check kidney function and urine for infection, to make sure they are ok.
Hope this answers your query, kindly get back for doubts if any.
Pls upload reports and scans if any.

Follow-up: Child has pain while urinating, taken antibiotics. Suggested surgery if medicine does not work. Need advice 9 hours later

That helps! He never had a fever complain during the problem so we had not taken any scans further.(In fact, doctor has not suggested that..) Still Is that necessary to take the scan of kidneys and bladder? If you still advice to do so we will go ahead and do the same.

Waiting for your earliest response...

Thanks once again...
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.
As part of evaluation for recurrent UTI, ultrasound needs to be done to check kidneys and the bladder.
If normal, nothing in particular will be needed except probably circumcision.
Hope this helps.